There has been a lot of hype and speculations about the new Go Pro Hero 4. GoPro surprised the market with an updated GoPro 3 called GoPro 3+. However, there are quite a few new features on the GoPro Hero 3+ that makes it an upgrade candidate.
GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition
– 20% smaller body than GoPro Hero 3
– The all new SuperView gives you a super wide angel perspective.
– New Auto Low Light mode automatically changes the frame rate to the lighting conditions.
– Sharper lens that increases the image sharpness by 33%
– Improved audio
– 30% longer battery life
– Four time faster connectivity to the GoPro App
– Better connectivity to the included Wi-Fi Remote
Upgrade from GoPro Hero 3 to GoPro Hero 3+?
If you have a GoPro 3 black edition today you might be better of waiting for the GoPro Hero 4. If you have any of the pre GoPro Hero 3 Black editions I definitely would consider upgrading to the new GoPro Hero 3+ Black edition.
Edit: GoPro 3 vs GoPro 3+ – Housing and battery is compatible
The new GoPro 3+ is not smaller than the GoPro 3, the new housing is smaller. The camera body of the GoPro 3+ and the GoPro 3 actually fits in each other housings. The new more powerfull battery from the GoPro 3+ is compatible with the GoPro 3.
GoPro Hero2 to GoPro Hero 3
If you planning to go from GoPro 2 to GoPro 3 you have to prepare to invest in a new memory card since GoPro 2 uses a standard SD-card and the GoPro Hero 3 uses microSD. However GoPro Hero 3 creates larger files so we would recommend you to upgrade the memory card anyway, preferably a microSD 64 GB (speed class 10).